With over 20 years of experience serving South Floridian residences, we are here to answer the most important questions about home improvements.
Sunshine Textures Inc. is one of South Florida’s foremost contractors for popcorn ceiling removal, drywall repair and installation, smooth finishes, and interior painting services.
For more than two decades, we have provided a variety of services to both residential and commercial properties. Our skilled technicians are prepared to give you the best advice about refreshing your home’s look.
Whether you need popcorn removal in Boca Raton, drywall repair in Port St. Lucie, or painting services in Broward County, we have skilled professionals ready to help you keep your properties timelessly stylish and safe.
Should You Remove Popcorn Ceiling?
Popcorn ceilings were all the rage in the 1970s and 1980s, initially because they were cost-effective, could absorb sound, and could camouflage cosmetic imperfections. Over time, however, the quality of popcorn ceilings diminishes significantly.
As contract work has continued to develop and improve in quality, there are affordable, modern alternatives on the market. Concerning whether or not to remove your popcorn ceiling, here are some factors to take into serious consideration:
- Dust collection – Because of its rough texture, the popcorn ceiling accumulates dust particles and debris. Unlike ceilings with a smooth finish, they are difficult to clean.
- Deterioration – Popcorn ceilings will disintegrate and flake off over time. It’s not uncommon for crumbs to appear on furniture or floors.
- High potential for damage – Though popcorn ceilings were originally marketed to mask ceiling damage, they, in fact, can be dented, scraped, and marked.
- Staining and discoloration – Over time, this becomes noticeable, making rooms more drab and dark.
- Outdated look – As suggested above, the popcorn ceiling is now considered “retro” at best. The stippled appearance of these ceilings has gone out of style.
- Health Concerns, especially Asbestos – This is the most serious factor to consider. Popcorn ceilings installed before 1978 contain harmful asbestos, a carcinogenic silicate mineral once used for insulation. In areas where the median home age is near 40, such as Boca Raton, popcorn removal may need to be a priority.
If you’re ready to take the next step to revamp or improve your living space, we recommend five simple tips to prep your home for popcorn removal.
Does Your Popcorn Ceiling Contain Asbestos?
Once praised for its affordability, durable insulation, and fire resistance, asbestos has been found to be dangerous in residential and commercial spaces. Thanks to the Clean Air Act of 1978, we now have safer alternatives to this material, but it is still important to know the facts about asbestos in popcorn ceilings. Used widely in buildings constructed from the 1930s through the late 1970s, asbestos has historically caused serious health problems including:
– Pulmonary fibrosis (asbestosis) – a life-threatening disease caused by the scarring of the lungs by asbestos fibers.
– Mesothelioma – a cancerous tumor formed in the lining of the heart, lungs, or abdomen caused by inhaling asbestos
– Other forms of lung cancer
– Regular exposure to asbestos can cause a variety of concerning conditions including chest pain and tightness, difficulty breathing, dry cough, or appetite loss.
You can ask yourself these important preliminary questions to see if your ceilings might be of concern:
– Installation date – Was your tile installed before 1980? This could be an important sign that your popcorn ceiling may contain asbestos.
– Ceiling tile pattern and size – Ceiling tiles containing asbestos were often white or off-white, constructed in a grid system with 9 inch x 9 inch or 12 inch x12 inch panels.
– Manufacture information – Companies such as National Gypsum, Armstrong, and USG manufactured ceiling materials with asbestos.
You can also test your ceilings for asbestos. By using a test kit, you can collect a sample of your ceiling and mail it to a lab for testing. An asbestos abatement professional can also assess your ceiling. Most importantly, removing a popcorn ceiling with traces of asbestos demands professional removal.
Does Removing Popcorn Ceiling Increase Your Home’s Value?
From Miami to Palm Beach to Boca Raton, removing popcorn ceilings can increase your home’s value. In addition to its potential health concerns, popcorn ceilings are not a top choice among today’s homebuyers. In fact, they can make it more difficult for you to sell your property. Popcorn removal service can be financially beneficial when it comes to resale value, and not only for stylistic reasons. Popcorn ceilings also hold onto moisture, which is a detriment in humid Florida. Removing this relic of the 80s will preserve the quality of your beautiful home, whether you plan to put it on the market or enjoy it for decades to come.
What Should You Ask Drywall Contractors Before Hiring Them?
Sunshine Textures is a leading contractor for drywall services in Southern Florida. If you’re in need of our knockdown texture repair service in Broward County or drywall repair in Port St. Lucie, here are a few important questions to ask in order to hire the best drywall contractor:
- Do you have a license for contracting work?
- Do you have proof of insurance?
- Will I have a consistent, dedicated team for this job?
- Will you secure any necessary permits and expectations for this job?
- What is our payment schedule?
- What will clean-up and storage look like day-to-day?
- What’s your timeline to complete this task?
- What’s the best way for us to stay in touch concerning this project?
- Is there a guarantee or warranty for your work?
Rest assured that at Sunshine Textures, we are licensed, insurance-certified professionals with decades of experience. We are committed to impeccable, smooth finish (Level 5) drywall work, performed efficiently and priced competitively.
What Are The Levels of Smooth Finish on Walls?
The levels of smooth finish on walls have a direct correlation with the quality of the drywall craftsmanship. Ranked from Level 0 to Level 5, each rank comes with an increasing attention to detail.
– Level 0: Typically executed in the beginning stages of decision-making, Level 0 means that no finishing or taping has been completed.
– Level 1: Joints and angles are taped, but fasteners are not covered, nor is mud applied. This provides the minimum protection for sound and smoke.
– Level 2: Thin coats of mud are applied over taped joints, exposed fasteners, and corner beads. The excess compound is removed.
– Level 3: After the initial coat of mud, another coat is applied, and screws and corner beads will be covered with two further layers of compound. At this level, tool marks and ridges are sanded down.
– Level 4: This level is good for enamel or flat paints. On top of the work from Level 3, Level 4 requires an additional coat of mud for interior angles, and accessories and screws need three additional mud coats. Ridges must be sanded.
– Level 5: In addition to the work required in Level 4, Level 5 features another thin layer of compound to make the finish completely flat and polished.
Most finishing jobs land at Level 4, but our company offers smooth finish services at Level 5, which provides a uniform, high-end finish that is even in all light.
What is Knockdown Texture and Why Should You Hire an Expert?
Knockdown texture was the effective answer to popcorn textures. Similar to popcorn ceiling, knockdown texture helps to hide surface imperfections and helps to soundproof rooms.
But, because the look is more natural than the stippled texture of popcorn ceilings—resembling subtle Spanish stucco, lace-like textures—it remains timeless. Though some people take on this work as a DIY, the work can be incredibly messy and demand very specific materials for installation.
A naturalistic finish furthermore demands a trained hand to create a finish that is consistent and professional. Committed to providing you the means to make your home everlastingly stylish, Sunshine Textures offers knockdown texture repair services.
Will Exterior Commercial Painting Lead to a Greater Curb Appeal?
Not only does Sunshine Textures offer interior painting services, but exterior commercial painting as well. Professional paint services in Broward County will be the first to tell you that curb appeal leaves a lasting impression.
With professional painting services, you can protect your home from the elements, repair damages, and increase your home’s value by keeping it looking sharp. Your search for professional interior painters near me ends with our expert team at Sunshine Textures.
About Sunshine Textures
If you’re asking yourself, “How much does it cost to hire a painter for the job I need?” contact us for a quote today!
Keep in Touch!
Sign up to receive our Monthly Blog and Special Offers.